|Health & Safety
Founded as Collège du Sacré-Coeur in 1913, it was the first, and for many years the only, institution of higher learning in Northern Ontario. In 1957, it changed its name to "University of Sudbury" and began to exercise its full teaching and degree-granting powers. It entered into the Laurentian Federation as a founding member in 1960.
The University of Sudbury is a bilingual university based in the tradition of its founding Jesuit Fathers, and committed to promoting the traditions and culture of the Indigenous people.
Inspired by the Jesuit philosophy of education (the formation of the whole person in service to community), the University of Sudbury also has a special commitment to community engagement and service to others.
The University offers programs and courses in Philosophy, Indigenous Studies, Religious Studies, Folklore, and Études journalistiques – all of which are accredited towards a Laurentian University degree.